Myesha Smith, The Black Bear – There’s got to be more to do than stuck in your books and class. Campus services and Springfield city offers a lot of entertainment for college students. Businesses offer college night specials and MSU campus activities are discounted for students as well. Places and activities have been referenced by Yelp, M.S.U. Real L.I.F.E. (Office of Student Financial Aid) and student suggestions.
Campus and Springfield city activities:
- Plaster Student Union: free bowling Friday nights for students on the bottom floor of the PSU.
- Office of Student Engagement: Public Affairs Week, speakers come to speak about various community topics.
- Missouri State Athletic Department: All sporting games are free admission for students.
- Student Activities Council: Free movies in Robert W. Theater, served with free popcorn before the movie. Upcoming film Fed Up will be played Sept. 16.
- Art Walk: First Friday of the month, anyone can view different art galleries downtown Springfield near Brick City for free.
- Hollywood Theater College Station 14: Tuesday College nights, $5 movies for all students with their college IDs. Address is 415 W College St. 65806.
- Drive-In Theaters: April through October, drive in theater in Aurora, about 30 miles out for $7 with 6 and under for free.
Places to Eat:
- Kai: College Night Specials (Wednesday) on sushi and appetizers, nothing over $5.
- Waffle House: 24 hour business, serves breakfast foods and dinner options. According to Google Maps there are 6 Waffle House locations in Springfield, MO.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Tuesday specials for .65 bone-in wings, and Thursday special for .65 boneless wings. There are two locations 900 E Battlefield Rd. and 2725 N Kansas Expy.
- Yogurtin: This is the yogurt store in the Battlefield Mall, .10 cents off each ounce of yogurt and toppings.
- Dominos: Has a special going on for 2 medium sized pizzas with one topping for 5.99 each. Also has numerous coupons in the student coupon book each semester.
- Ziggie’s: For early morning students, Ziggie’s has bacon and egg specials for $2.99 until 9am each day.
- Flame: One of Springfield’s most expensive steak house, with a downtown location near campus at 314 W Walnut Street however they offer fresh ground steak burgers for $3.50 between 4 p.m.-6 p.m. each day in the lounge.
- Zan the Club: College night is Thursdays for free before ten wristbands ages 18+, downtown at 311 S. Patton Ave.
- The Boogie/ Bubbles: Also has Thursday night college special, free before 10 cover at 321 South Ave., students must be 21+.
Students can look up all of these places and activities either on Missouri State’s website or YELP. There are reviews about other student’s experiences and links to clubs and food places to come in Springfield. If any students has any suggestions for other student’s entertainment you can tweet us at @BlackBear_MSU.